课件 w ww.5 y kj.Co m 高一英语教学设计：“动名词作主语”
UNIT 2 WORKING THE LAND
Period 3 the –ing form as either the subject or the object
Step 1 Revision
Look at the picture of Yuan Long ping and give students some questions about the text. (Encourage students to learn from Dr Yuan and understand the function of the –ing form.)
1. What does he look like?
2. What does he work to do his research?
3. Why did Dr. Yuan want to increase the rice output when he was young?
Step 2 Discovering useful structures
Ask students to check your answers in groups and report the results on the blackboard.
1) Since then, finding ways to grow more rice has been his life goal.
2) Spending money on himself or leading a comfortable life also means very little to him.
3) Just dreaming for things, however, costs nothing.
Object of preposition:
1) As a young man, he saw the great need for increasing the rice output.
2) Dr. Yuan searched for a way to increase rice harvests without expanding the area of the fields.
3) However, he doesn’t care about being famous.
4) Dr. Yuan awoke from his dream with the hope of producing a kind of rice that could feed more people.
Object of verb:
1) He enjoys listening to violin music, playing mahjong, swimming and reading.
1）Collecting（collect）stamps is a good hobby.
2) Chatting (chat) with them improves our minds.
3) Smiling (smile) is the best language.
4) He enjoys swimming (swim).
5) Don’t be afraid of speaking (speak) English.
(This part can give students an impression on the function of the –ing form as either the subject or the object.)
Step 3 Learning the usage of the –ing form as either the subject or object
Give students some explanations if necessary after two students made comments on their performances. And make students understand that we should change the form of verb as v-ing form when the form of verb acts as the subject or the object in a sentence.
Step 4 Practice
Task 1: Translate the following sentences into Chinese.
1. Talking to him is talking to a wall.
2. Smoking may cause cancer.
3. Smiling is the best language.
4. Seeing is believing.
5. I suggest bringing the meeting to an end.
Task 2: Do Ex.2 on P13 and Ex.1 on P50.（句型转换和对话练习,见附页。）
(The design is to show students more examples to help them consolidate the usage of –ing form as either the subject or object.)
Step 5 Discussing and further understanding
Ask students to discuss in groups and find out some verbs that can be followed by –ing form as object. And then report your ideas on blackboard. At last, ask one student to comment and choose the best three groups and students.
Step 6 Summary
• Some verbs that are followed by –ing as object: advise, finish, practice, suggest, avoid, enjoy, imagine, admit, miss, escape, risk, excuse, stand, keep, mind….
• Some phrases that are followed by–ing as object: look forward to, devote to, be busy doing, feel like, can’t help doing, lead to….
• Some sentence patters :spend ….doing
have some difficulty in doing something….
哪些动词后接to do ：
（This practice can help students review what they have learned.）
Step 7 Checking students for assessment
[课内自测](To learn about what students have learned and consolidate what they have learned.)
2). Doing easily what others find difficult is talent; doing what others think is impossible is genius.
As a young man, Li Ming dreamt of (become) a scientist. He enjoyed (study) all the subjects at school. But when he saw the need for doctors in the poor countryside, he decided (devote) himself to (look after) sick people. After (graduate) from Shanxi medicine university, he became a doctor in his hometown. He cares little about (make) money. He is interested in (help) poor people. When some poor villagers come for help, he seldom asks them for charge. He even offers some money to them. He is never afraid of (become) poor. He is only concerned about people’s health.
课件 w ww.5 y kj.Co m